Getting Help

If you are worried about an elderly relative and feel that they may benefit from additional help around the house or need medical help, get in touch with your local authority and arrange for them to see their GP (many GPs will do home visits for elderly patients). Your local authority will be able to tell you about the services available for elderly people in the area and outline social care packages that may be beneficial for your loved one. If your relative is struggling at home, they will undergo an assessment by social services; they can then set about finding the best possible services for your relative, whether it be providing someone to pop in now and again to help with housework or preparing meals or more long-term, intensive care. They can also help to find a place for full-time care either in a nursing or residential home depending on their condition; they will also be able to tell you about funding for care packages.

If you are caring for a relative, you may find it challenging and emotionally draining; if you need a break, try to arrange for somebody else to tend to your loved one for a day or two or get in touch with your local authority to see if additional help is available. Charities such as Carers UK may also be able to help you with taking a break, as well as providing advice and support.

Guide to Elderly Health

Elderly health Intro



Eye health

Getting help

Heart problems



Mental health issues


Staying healthy