Symptoms usually vary according to the type of migraine a person suffers from; common symptoms are listed below:
- Problems with vision: including seeing flashes and spots of light, having blurred or double vision and seeing zigzag shaped patterns.
- A lack of co-ordination and balance
- Problems with speech
- Stiffness in the joints and muscles and a tingling sensation in the hands and feet
- Heightened sensitivity to light, smells and sound: many people find that loud noises and bright lights make their symptoms worse.
Additional symptoms of both classical and common migraines may also include:
- A lack of concentration
- Changes in body temperature
- Needing to urinate frequently
- Abdominal pain (which may be followed by diarrhoea)
Migraine symptoms may last up to 72 hours.