There are several different types of treatment to improve vision on offer today; however, there are two principal methods of laser eye surgery. These methods are explained in greater detail below:
LASIK treatment involves altering the shape of the cornea. During the operation, a very thin layer of the cornea is cut and temporarily lifted to enable the laser to reshape the cornea; once the surgeon is happy with the results, the flap is returned to its original position and is held in place by natural suction forces.
LASEK treatment involves using laser technology to enhance vision without the use of any incisions in the eye; the laser is focused on the surface of the cornea. During the operation, the epithelium (the very thin layer of cells on the outside of the cornea) is temporarily moved so that the laser beam can be focused directly on the cornea.
Wavefront laser eye surgery treatment – Wavefront technology is available to patients that are undergoing both LASIK and LASEK treatments. Wavefront technology is much more specialised and personalised than other treatments as it is designed to suit individuals rather than being able to treat anyone; the treatment is based on a series of measurements and 3D images of the patient�s eye. Wavefront uses a specially shaped laser beam to change the shape of the cornea.
Intralase LASIK laser eye surgery – this is one of the most modern methods and removes the need for any incisions in the eye. The procedure is the same as traditional LASIK surgery; however, a femtosecond laser is used to life the flap over the cornea, rather than a scalpel. This method is a huge advance in laser eye surgery technology; the bladeless surgery eradicates many of the risks associated with making an incision in the eye, as well as offering greater comfort to patients and leading to improved healing.
Guide to Laser Eye Surgery
- Laser eye surgery intro
- Alternative treatments to laser eye surgery
- Who can benefit from laser eye surgery?
- How do I know which surgeon or clinic to choose?
- How much does laser eye surgery cost?
- Is laser eye surgery painful?
- When can I play sport and drive after laser eye surgery?
- What precautions should I take after surgery?
- Why have laser eye surgery?
- How long does the laser eye surgery procedure last?
- How long does recovery from laser eye surgery take?
- How long do the results of laser eye surgery last?
- What are the risks involved with laser eye surgery?
- Is laser eye surgery safe?
- Can I have both eyes done on the same day?
- Is laser eye surgery suitable for everyone?
- Types of laser eye surgery treatment