People that swallow chemicals, either accidently or on purpose may experience a degree of poisoning; this can be very serious so it is important to be able to recognise the signs of poisoning. The common signs to look out for include:

  • Vomiting (there may be blood present in the blood)
  • Abdominal pain
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Burning sensation in the stomach, which may radiate to the chest and throat

Treatment for poisoning

If you come across somebody that has been poisoned, call 999 immediately. If they are conscious, try to reassure them and keep them conscious until the paramedics arrive; try to ascertain what the casualty has swallowed as this will be helpful for the medical team. If the casualty is unconscious, check their airways, breathing and circulation; if they are breathing, place them in the recovery position to ensure their airways are kept open. If they are not breathing, prepare to start CPR.  

Guide to Environmental Health

Environmental Health

Air pollution

Chemical safety

Food poisoning

Health and natural disasters

Sanitation and water

Health in the workplace


Chemical Burn

Carbon monoxide poisoning